Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Letter Home on Second P-day in the MTC (with commentary by Mom)

Mom's comments in RED throughout Justin's letter. 

I'm healthy now! I feel totally fine as long as we aren't eating. Cause in all honesty, this food is pretty gross. BABY! It actually tastes fine but for some reason it's a battle not to gag when I swallow. They have this rad fruit called the Garandilla (passion fruit) and the inside looks like a ton of alien embryos! It's pretty yummy. Daniel has been telling us about passion fruit from his mission in Ecuador for years. Apparently Justin never listened. :) 

I've been struggling with Spanish and I'm one of two guys in my district who has never taken Spanish so I'm pretty behind. But I'm loving it! My companion is super awesome (Elder Walton). 

We've been trying to teach this fake investigator lessons in Spanish and, man, that is super rough. He shut us down during the last lesson. 

We went to the temple today and the endowment session was incredible. the celestial room here is gorgeous, and way bigger than OKC's. 

I'm now famous around the MTC for being the only kid who didn't know the water from the sink would make me sick. haha. We talked about this several times. The Doctor who gave him his immunizations talked about this with him. He gave him a bunch of papers to read all about every disease you can possibly get down in South America, focusing on Colombia. He even gave him a prescription for an antibiotic for "traveler's diarrhea." Tell me...How did he not know that the water would make him sick? Your guess is as good as mine. haha  They gave me a water bottle that has a filter in it so I can use that when there aren't any puddles around. Here he's referencing my letter where I told him to use the life straw he took with him. I said he could use it to drink from a puddle and it would be ok. 

So when I figure out what the computer is telling me to do when uploading pics I will send some haha. I love you guys! Sorry I suck at writing letters. But hey, I'm famous. Gotta write all my fans in Utah. ;) All you fans in Utah, share any information you get that we didn't in the comments. We'd love to hear more about what he's been up to! 
Love, Elder Justin

hmmm....My comments are almost longer than the letter itself. I don't think I'll do that next time. It's fun hearing from him. He sounds happy. Love that kid  elder. 

6 comments:

  1. I like your comments, and maybe if you used some other color and not red, it would seem less critical. :) It's great to hear from him! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm. There's a thought. :) The red is harsh even if the words aren't. haha

      Delete
  2. Hi, My name is Betty Gomez and I came across elder Skinners' blog as I was looking for other Cali, Colombia missionaries. My son is currently serving in the same mission so they might meet down there. As I was reading this post I saw he mentioned the OKC temple and what a coincidence we lived in OKC for 26 years. What ward do you guys belong to? We were in the OKC 1 ward. Great job on the blog and I also do like your comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty, It's great to hear from you! I hope our sons Do meet! We live in Edmond and are in the Edmond 1st ward, OKC Stake. We JUST moved here this past June from Layton, Utah. It's been a great place to live so far. Where are you now? I'm excited to check out Elder Gomez's blog! Thanks for commenting. Keep in touch! (Hope my son's letters get longer as your son's letters seem to be.)

      Delete
  3. We live in Louisville, KY moved out here in 2009. Do you know the Giles? I think they go to Edmond 1st ward. Don't worry they will get longer. Sometimes I only get just a few lines but that's ok as long as they write right? Your son will love it there. The work is great and he will be busy. My son is in Pasto right now and I will let him know about elder Skinner. I love having a missionary on the field and reading about other missionaries and their amazing experiences. This gospel is just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry for not replying to this. For some reason, I never saw that you commented back. I think it went into my "Social" email which I don't check very often. We DO know the Giles! They are such nice people. They are in our ward (Edmond 1st). She is the one who saw her name on here and told me you had asked if we knew them. haha. Thanks for commenting. It's so great to hear from another Colombia missionary mom!

      Delete